The Arizona/Chicago/St. Louis cardinals helmets may look the same over the years, but there are are subtle differences. The 1961-87 helmet Cardinal has no outline. The 1988-04 Cardinal has a black outline. In 2005, the Carindal was updated with a more modern look.
1918-51: Leather Helmets
- 1918-24 – Brown leather helmet
- 1929-32 – Red leather helmet
- 1933-34 – Burgundy-brown leather helmet
- 1935-36 – Red leather helmet, small white markings
- 1937-51 – Plain white leather helmet
- 1940 – Burgundy-brown leather helmet, brown wings, white top
- 1952-59 -Plain white helmet
- 1952-53, 55-56 – Plain cardinal red helmet
The 1969 2-bar throwback helmet has the Riddell logo in all caps (RIDDELL). The regular Throwback 2-bar helmet has some cursive font (RIDDell). See the Throwback NFC 1969 site for more information. Some Throwback Series 2 helmets do not have an “R” next to the earhole.
In 2005, the Cardinals updated the cardinal for a more modern look. The 2005-present style helmet was included in the speed and revolution sets.
Custom Cardinals Helmets
Pocket Pro Helmet Checklist
- 1960-87 (St. Louis Cardinals): Plain white helmet, traditional cardinal logo with no black outline
- Throwback Series 1 (original style)/Throwback Series 2 (original style)
- Throwback NFC 1969 2-bar
- Throwback 2-bar
- 1988-2004: Plain white helmet, traditional cardinal logo with black outline
- Original (97, 99, 03)
- Chrome (original style)
- 2005-present:Plain white helmet, modern cardinal logo
Other Arizona Cardinals Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.
- 1918-24: Brown leather helmet
- 1929-32: Red leather helmet
- 1933-34, 1948: Burgundy-brown leather helmet
- 1935-36: Red leather helmet, white markings
- 1937-51: Plain white leather helmet
- 1940: Burgundy-brown leather helmet, brown wings, white top
- 1952-59 (Chicago Cardinals): Plain white helmet
- 1952-53, 55-56 (Chicago Cardinals): Plain cardinal red helmet