This columbia blue helmet had a plain white oil derrick, plain white stripe, and grey facemask. This helmet is in AFL 50th anniversary, Throwback series 1, and Throwback 2-bar sets.
Other than the stripes, this helmet is the same as the 1960-63. The previous helmet had a plain white stripe. This style added red and white stripes.
Riddell did not manufacture a pocket pro helmet in this style. The photo below shows a custom pocket pro helmet.
Photos from Worthpoint
1966 – A helmet the Oilers likely never wore
The 1966 Oilers helmet is a matter of some dispute. There is agreement the Oilers transitioned to a silver helmet with red-white-blue-white-red stripes in 1966. The dispute has to do with the oil derrick:
- A few sites reference a continuation of the blue oil derrick with a white outline. Chris Creamer’s Sportslogo.net references this helmet. Mike Stanhope’s helmet history site claims the 1966 Oilers helmet had a “Navy derrick with white outline.”
- Others reference a blue derrick with white and red outline. This includes The Helmet Project, Gridiron Uniform Database, Bill’s Sports Map, and official Tennessee Titans sites. A KC Chiefs AFL Helmet history site also references this helmet.
I cannot find reliable evidence the Oilers 1966 helmet displayed the first logo (blue oil derrick with plain white outline). The Mike Stanhope site provides a somewhat blurred photo. If you closely examine the photo, however, you can see a thin red outline.
Based on other’s historical research and a lack of evidence, I am going to conclude the Oilers never wore a blue derrick with plain white outline. The photos below display a custom version of this style; a style the Oilers almost certainly never actually wore.
Photos from Worthpoint
In 1966, the Oilers transitioned to a new silver helmet. This helmet is in the Throwback 1969 AFC 2-bar set. The original style helmet in the photo below is a custom helmet.
There is different information about the striping pattern of this helmet:
- Chris Creamer’s Sportslogo.net claims the 1966 and 1967-70 helmet had red-white-blue-white-red stripes. Another site, the Helmet Project, is in agreement with this assessment.
- The Gridiron Uniform Database claims the 1966 and 1967 striping patterns were also red-white-blue-white-red stripes. However, the database claims that by 1968, the striping pattern had changed to red-blue-red. This striping pattern was used until 1971, according to this site.
Regardless, all references are in agreement that at some point between 1966 and 1971, the Oilers wore these two striping patterns.
Photo from Worthpoint
In 1971, the Oilers removed the white part of the stripe and replaced it with silver (the same color of the helmet). This style is in the Throwback Series 2 set. Some Throwback Series 2 helmets did not have an “R” by the earhole, as is the case with these helmets.
In 1972, the Oilers returned to the columbia blue helet. The stripping pattern and oil derrick are different colors.
Riddell did not manufacture a pocket pro helmet in this style. The helmet below is a custom pocket pro. I ordered the helmet on eBay. The craftsmanship is really good.
1975-80 and 1981-98
In 1975, the Oilers switched to the white helmet and kept this style until the team transitioned to the Tennessee Titans style.
In 1981, the facemask changed from grey to red.
For two years (1997 and 1998), the team was known as the Tennessee Oilers. This pocket pro is in the original set. The TN Oilers helmet has a tiny oil derrick imposed over a TN flag in the corner (see below).
1990-2017 and 2018-present
The Tennessee Titans white pocket pro is in the Original, Revolution, and Speed sets. The black Titans helmet (introduced in 2018) is in the Speed set.
Titans Custom Helmet
- 1960-63 (Oilers): Columbia blue helmet, white stripe, plain white derrick, grey facemask
- Throwback AFL 50th Anniversary / Throwback Series 1
- Throwback 2-bar
- 1966-70 (Oilers): Silver helmet, red/white/blue stripes, blue derrick with white and red outline, grey facemask
- Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar
- 1971 (Oilers): Silver helmet, red/silver/blue stripes, blue derrick with white and red outline, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 2
- 1981-96 (Oilers): White helmet, red/white/blue stripes, blue derrick with red outline, red facemask
- Original (97)
- 1997-98 (Tennessee Oilers): White helmet, red/white/blue stripes, blue derrick with red outline, red facemask – same as previous helmet. The only difference is a small, additional oil derrick imposed over the Tennessee state flag in the helmet corner
- Original (97)
- 1999-2017 (Titans): White helmet, tapered stripe, T logo
- Original (99, 03)
- 2018-present (Titans): White helmet, tapered stripe, T logo
Other Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.