Raiders Logo History
The Raiders have worn four different logos over the years:
- 1963 – silver shield, black helmet
- 1964-96 – black shield, silver helmet with glares
- 1997-present – black shield, silver helmet with no glares
- 1994 and 2009 alternates – white shield, black helmet (different from 1963 Raider with the black helmet)
The Raiders 1960-1 helmet was plain black. The 1962 helmet added a gold stripe. There are no official pocket pro helmets for this style. The two helmets below are custom.
The raiders wore a silver helmet with silver shield in 1963. This helmet is in the Throwback AFL 50th Anniversary set. Also notice how the raider has a plain black helmet.
In 1964 the Raiders changed the shield from silver to black. Note the glares on the Raider helmet. This helmet is in the Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar, traditional, and chrome sets.
Interestingly, even though the Raiders removed the glare from the helmet in 1996, all traditional style pocket helmets continued to display the 1964-96 Raider logo. This was not changed until the Revolution style pocket helmet in 2005.
The chrome Raider is different from the others. I am not sure how that happened and I cannot locate a similar looking Raider. Perhaps the nature of chrome helmets means a more abstract Raider face. I eventually obtained one that is sharper.
In 1997, the Raiders removed the glares from the Raider’s helmet. This helmet is in the revolution and speed sets.
1994, 2009 Alternates
The 1994 and 2009 Throwback helmets have a white shield, in contrast to the silver shield in the 1963 Raiders helmet. Note how the black helmet has returned, albeit in a different format and logo. These are in the Throwback Series 1, Throwback Series 2, and Throwback 2-bar sets (see photos below).
Raiders Super Bowl Helmets
Last update: 1/25/2022
Other Raiders Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.
- 1960-61: Plain black helmet
- No factory pocket helmet
- 1962: Plain black helmet, gold stripe
- No factory pocket helmet
- 1963: Silver helmet, silver shield, Raider with glares on plain black helmet, grey facemask
- 1964-96: Silver helmet, black shield, Raider with glares on silver helmet and black stripe, grey facemask. Note: All of the traditional Raiders pocket pro helmets display the 1964-96 logo, even if they were made after 1997.
- 1996-present: Silver helmet, black shield, Raider with no glares silver helmet and black stripe, grey facemask
- 1994, 2009 Alternates: Silver helmet, white shield, Raider with glares on plain black helmet, grey facemask
- Super Bowl:
- Gridiron Uniform Database, Raiders
- Helmet History.com, Raiders
- Lukas, Paul. (2017, January 5). Uni Watch: The Subtleties of the Silver and Black. ESPN.