Riddell manufactured a New York Titans helmet for the Throwback AFL 50th Anniversary set. The Jets wore this helmet as a throwback at various times between 2007 and 2011.
The Titans wore two different helmets in this era:
- 1960 – Blue helmet, goldenrod-yellow stripe, grey facemask
- 1961-62 – Navy helmet, royal-yellow stripe, grey facemask
I believe the pocket pro manufactured for the AFL 50th Anniversary set and the helmet the Jets wore as a throwback between 2007 and 2011 is a combination of the two helmets the Titans actually wore and with a darker shade of blue and different shade of gold.
The photos below substantiate this. Note how the 1961-62 helmet is navy blue, but the 2007-11 throwback blue is darker (what I call denim blue). Also, note how the 1961-62 stripe is brighter, royal shade of yellow, as opposed to the darker goldenrod color of the 2007-11 helmet.
I cannot find a photo of the 1960 helmet. However, according to the Gridiron Uniform Database, the helmet was a brighter blue with a goldenrod-yellow stripe.
The Jets also wore a plain white helmet with a green stripe and grey facemask in 1963, apparently for only one game. Riddell did not manufacture a pocket pro for this helmet.
Riddell did not manufacture a helmet in the 1964 style. This is a precursor to the white helmets with the green NY logos superimposed over a football.
This helmet is only available in the Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar set.
1978-89 and 1990-97
Between 1978 and 1997, the Jets had two green style helmets. The first green helmet (1978-89) with the new “Jets” logo is available only in the Throwback Series 2 set. The 1990-97 helmet had a black facemask and included a black outline around the Jets logo. It was only made available in the original 1997 pocket pro set and, thus, kind of rare.
The Jets updated the helmet in 2019.
1993 and 1994 Throwbacks
The Jets wore a throwback helmet for one game in 1993 and 1994. The 1993 helmet is green with a green jets logo, black facemask and no stripes. The 1994 helmet is the same, except it has two stripes.
Jets Super Bowl Pocket Pro
Custom Jets Pocket Pro Helmets
- 1963: White helmet, two green stripes, Jets-airplane logo, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 1
- Throwback 2-bar
- 1965-71: White helmet, two green stripes, green Jets logo
- Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar
- 1978-89: Green helmet, white Jets text, white facemask
- Throwback Series 2
- 1990-97: Green helmet, white Jets text with black outline, black facemask
- Original (97)
- 1998-2018: White helmet, two green stripes, green Jets logo, green facemask
- Original (99, 03)
- 2007-11: Denim blue helmet, goldenrod-yellow stripe, grey facemask
- Throwback AFL 50th Anniversary
- 2019-present: Green helmet, white logo, black facemask
- Jets Super Bowl 3 (Two-bar style)
- Jets Super Bowl 3 Chrome
Other New York Jets Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.
- 1960: Blue helmet, goldenrod-yellow stripe, grey facemask
- 1961-62: Navy blue helmet, royal-yellow stripe, grey facemask
- 1963: Plain white helmet, single green stripe, grey facemask
- 1964: White helmet, two green stripes, white Jets logo
- 1993 (alternate, one game): Green helmet, white Jets logo, no stripes, black facemask
- 1994 (alternate, some games): Green helmet, white Jets logo (same as 1993), two white stripes, black facemask
- *Between 1972-77, the Jets decal is at a different angle. Otherwise, it’s exactly the same. Riddell did not make a pocket pro for it.