1933-48: Leather Helmets
- 1933 – Blue/yellow leather helmet
- 1934 – Brown/blue leather helmet
- 1937 – Green leather helmet
- 1935-40 – White leather helmet
- 1941 – Black and white leather helmet
- 1941-48 – Green/silver leather helmet
Eagles Helmet History and Pocket Pros
The Eagles and Broncos have two of the more complicated helmet, and thus, pocket pro histories. The spreadsheet below is based on the research I have done.
The 1950-53 Eagles helmet was a plain kelly green helmet. Riddell did not manufacture a pocket pro for this helmet.
1954-73: Plain Wing Era
The Eagles wore three different helmet designs with the plain wing. The photo from Todd Random Design shows the three styles, from left to right:
- 1954-68: Green helmet, silver wing, grey facemask – throwback series 1 & throwback 2-bar
- 1969 only: Green helmet, white wing, grey facemask – no official pocket pro
- 1969-73: White helmet, green wing, grey facemask – throwback series 2 & throwback 2-bar 1969
The 1954-68 helmet was kelly green with a silver wing. This is the first Eagles helmet with a wing. It’s in the Throwback Series 1 and Throwback 2-bar sets. To me, the original style helmet displays a lighter green color, more closer to the kelly green the Eagles wore during this era.
Claims have been made the green wing on the white helmet had a black outline. However, the black lined wing has only been discovered in replica and mini-helmets. There’s no photographic, conclusive evidence this helmet exists. I think the green wing with the black outline has largely been debunked.
This is a custom version of the green helmet with the white wing.
1974-84 Era: Silver Wing with White Outline, Varying Shades of Green
Photographic evidence suggests the Eagles wore varying shades of green between 1974 and 1984. Like the Broncos, sometimes different shades of green were worn during the same game, as the photo from 1977 shows:
The next image is from Bill’s Sports Maps. It shows a darker Eagles helmet between 1974 and 1984.
So, what were the Eagle helmet colors in this era? Here is what my research has found (all helmets have a grey facemask and silver wing with white outline):
- Kelly green: 1974-95
- Dark green: 1974-95
- Metallic green: 1974-76
Kelly Green and Dark Green: 1974-84 evidence – In the first row, note how 1966, 1980 and 1992 helmets have the same or very similar kelly green. In the second row, note the different shades of green – kelly green and dark green.
Metallic Green: 1974-76 evidence
In 1980, the Eagles wore a small yellow stripe on the back of their helmet for the super bowl. This was in tribute to the hostages held in Iran. The helmet worn in the super bowl appears to be the dark green shade.
1985-95 Era: Silver Wing with White Outline, Kelly Green
This helmet is only available in the Throwback 4-piece Eagles team set.
Late in the 1989 season, the Eagles wore a black stripe through the wing to commemorate the death of quarterbacks coach Doug Scovil. The Eagles also wore an Art Rooney memorial decal on their helmet for one game in 1988. The custom helmet photos below are from Mr. Ramirez 44.
In 1994, the Eagles wore a kelly green helmet with a large silver stripe. This helmet was worn as a throwback. However, the Eagles had never previously wore this style helmet. I think it might be an homage to the 1949 helmet. No official pocket pro was made, but custom versions exist.
In 2007, the Eagles wore a throwback to their first leather helmet. It was only worn in one game. No official pocket pro helmet exists. I made a custom helmet using light blue vinyl sticker paper.
Custom Eagles Helmets
The Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Steagles did not actually wear a helmet with the logo shown below. However, it was the team’s logo.
- 1949-50, 1952: Kelly green/silver helmet, grey facemask
- Throwback 4-pc Team Set, 2-bar style (in 4-pc team set only)
- 1954-68, 2010 throwback: Kelly green helmet, silver wing, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 1
- Throwback 2-bar
- 1969-73: White helmet, green wing, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 2/4-piece Throwback Team set (2-bar style helmet)
- Throwback NFC 1969 2-bar
- 1974-1995: Kelly green helmet, silver wing with white outline, grey facemask
- Throwback 4-pc Team Set – original style (in 4-pc team set only)
- 1996-present: Midnight green helmet, modern wing, dark green facemask
- Original (97, 99, 03)/4-piece Throwback Team set (original style helmet)
Other Philadelphia Eagles Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.
- 1933: Blue/yellow leather helmet
- 1934: Brown/blue leather helmet
- 1937: Green leather helmet
- 1935-40: White leather helmet
- 1941: Black and white leather helmet
- 1941-48: Green/silver leather helmet
- 1950-53: Plain kelly green helmet
- 1969: Kelly green helmet, white or white/silver wing, grey facemask
- 1974-76: Metallic green helmet, silver wing with white outline, grey facemask
- 1974-84: Dark green helmet, silver wing with white outline, grey facemask
- 1980 (super bowl): Dark green helmet, silver wing with white outline, grey facemask, yellow tape on back
- 1974-95: Kelly green helmet, silver wing with white outline, grey facemask
- 1994: Kelly green helmet, large silver stripe, grey facemask
- 2007 (Throwback): Blue & yellow helmet, grey facemask
- Gridiron Uniform Database. Philadelphia Eagles 1974 through 1984.
- Gridiron Uniform Database. Philadelphia Eagles 1974 through 1977.
- Gridiron Uniform Database. Philadelphia Eagles 1974-79.
- Hecken, Phil. (2018, February 4). Supe’s on Part II: Uni History of the Philadelphia Eagles. Uni Watch.
- Shibe Vintage Sports History Blog. (2012, July 10). The 1969 Eagles – A Rare Two Helmet Team.
- Todd Random Design. (2018, January 25). On the Wings of Eagles.