Riddell does a really good job in producing accurate replica mini helmets. Errors, however, are bound to happen. The following have been discovered (as of January 2020):
- Denver Broncos Throwback Series 2 and 1969 AFC 2-bar. These helmets display the 1993-96 logo, but should display the 1968-92 logo.
- LA Chargers Throwback Series 2 and Throwback 2-bar. These pocket pro helmets do not display the player number on the helmet, but are blank.
- Miami Dolphins 1969 AFC 2-bar. This pocket pro helmet displays the Dolphin in front-of-the-ring logo, but should display the 1969 logo where the Dolphin is inside the ring.
- Possible error – New England Patriots Throwback Series 2 and 1969 AFC 2-bar. I think the Patriots could have worn a different Patriot Pat between 1961-64 than the one displayed on the pocket pro.
- New England Patriots Thowback Series 1 and Throwback 2-bar. These pocket pro helmets do not display the player number on the helmet, but are blank with the logo only. The Patriots did wear the blank helmet in the pre-season, however.
- San Francisco 49ers Super Bowl 16, 19, & 23 helmets. The pocket pro helmets should display the 1962-88 logo, but actually display the 1989-95 logo.
- Kansas City Chiefs Throwback Series 2. The pocket pro helmet displays the 1974-present logo, but should display the 1963-73 logo.
- Green Bay Packers backwards logo.
Denver Broncos Throwback Series 2 and 1969 AFC 2-bar
The Broncos wore four different versions of the classic blue helmet with the D-logo:
- 1968-74: Blue helmet, orange 1968-92 ‘D’ logo, white/orange stripes, grey facemask – in Throwback Series 1/4-pc Team Set & Throwback AFC 1969 sets
- 1975-92: Blue helmet, orange 1968-92 ‘D’ logo, white/orange stripes, white facemask – no official pocket pro made
- 1993-96: Blue helmet, orange 1993-96 ‘D’ logo, white/orange stripes, white facemask – in AFC west 6-pc original set (1999)
The 1968-74 style pocket pro for the Broncos is in these sets:
- Original style: Throwback Series 2/4-piece Throwback Team
- 2-bar: Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar
The Broncos helmets in these sets, however, display the 1993-96 logo. The accurate logo should be the 1968-92 logo. There are no officially manufactured pocket pros by Riddell that display the 1968-92 logo. The 1993-96 helmet displays the accurate logo.
L.A. Chargers Throwback Series 2 and 2-bar
The 1966 Chargers pocket pro helmet is white with a plain blue bolt. The actual helmet worn by the Chargers that year displayed player numbers in addition to the bolt.
Miami Dolphins 1969 AFC 2-bar
In 1969, the Dolphins only wore the helmet with the dolphin going through the ring (helmet on the left). So, the 1969 pocket pro helmet should display that dolphin.
That, however, is not the case. The Dolphins helmet from the Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar set actually shows the 1966-68, 1973-79 dolphin (two helmets on the right).
New England Patriots Throwback Series 2 and AFC 1969 2-bar
Patriots’ helmets might have historically included two Patriot Pats (see below).
If the Patriots helmet displayed the more goofy-looking 1961-63 Patriot Pat, then the Throwback Series 2 and Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar Patriots helmets (with 2 red stripes) display the incorrect logo. I have not found definitive proof of the actual logo worn by the 1961-64 Patriots.
New England Patriots Throwback Series 1 and Throwback 2-bar
The 1960 Patriots pocket pro helmet displays the 4-corner revolutionary war hat. However, this hat was only worn during the pre-season. The actual helmet worn during the season had a player number under the hat.
San Francisco 49ers Super Bowls 16, 19, & 23 helmets
The 49ers helmet has displayed three different logos between 1962 and the present:
The pocket pro super bowl helmets for super bowls 16, 19, & 23 display the 1989-95 logo, even though the 1962-88 logo was worn in the super bowl.
Kansas City Chiefs 1963-73
The Throwback Series 2 helmet appears to display the 1974-present logo. The Throwback Series 2 sheet included with the Throwback Series 2 set, however, claims the helmet displays the 1963-73 logo. The photo below displays the 1969 helmet and how it is different from the Throwback Series 2 helmet to the right (with a contemporary helmet for comparison in the bottom left corner).
Green Bay Packers Backward Logo
A gentleman named Graham Clark sent me a photo of a Green Bay Packers helmet with a backward logo.