The History of the Dolphin Logo
The Dolphins have had largely the same helmet design for over 50 years. Five different dolphins have appeared on Miami helmets:
1966, 1969-73 (Dolphin #1) and 1966-68, 1974-79 (Dolphin #2)
The dolphins first wore this helmet with Dolphin #1 inside the ring in 1966. The Dolphins brought back the helmet in 1969 and wore it through 1973. It’s in the Throwback Series 1 and Throwback 2-bar sets.
Between 1966 and 1973, the Dolphins often interchangably wore Dolphin #1 and #2. Sometimes, players would wear the different helmets in the same game. In 1969, however, the Dolphins only wore Dolphin #1. So, the 1969 pocket pro helmet should display dolphin #1. That, however, is not the case.
The Dolphins wore the helmet with the dolphin inside the ring (Dolphin #1) in 1994 and 2014-present as a throwback. However, the 1994 throwback had an aqua facemask and the 2014-present helmet had a white facemask.
1980-89 and 1990-96
In 1980, the Dolphins introduced a new Dolphin helmet with a more svelte and darker-blue dolphin (dolphin #3). Riddell did not manufacture a pocket pro for this helmet. It’s only available as a custom.
In 1990, the Dolphins introduced a sleeker, more modern and aggressive look (dolphin #4).
Note how both of these helmets striping patterns are aqua-white-orange-white-aqua. This would change in 1997.
The 1997-12 helmet added a dark blue stripe to the configuration and is otherwise the same as the previous style. This helmet is included in the original and revolution sets. Note the thin black line and darker aqua color in the stripes.
2013-17 and 2018-present
2013 saw the introduction of an even newer and more modern dolphin (dolphin #5). Other changes include the white facemask and striping pattern (aqua, orange, and navy blue). This helmet is available in the revolution and speed sets.
In 2018, the Dolphins brightened up the sunbeam and removed the thin black line from the stripes. This helmet is in the speed set.
1994 and 2014-present Throwbacks
Dolphins Pocket Pro Super Bowl Helmets
Custom Dolphins Pocket Pro Helmets
- 1966, 69-73: White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #1 inside ring, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 1
- Throwback 2-bar
- 1966-68, 1973-79: White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #2, grey facemask
- Throwback Series 2
- Throwback AFC 1969 2-bar
- 1997-2012: White helmet, aqua/white/orange/blue stripes, dolphin #4, aqua facemask
- Original (97, 99, 03)
- 2013-17: White helmet, aqua/white/orange/blue stripes, dolphin #5, white facemask
- 2018: White helmet, aqua/orange facemask, dolphin #5, white facemask
- Dolphins Super Bowl 7 (2-bar style)
- Dolphins Super Bowl 8 (2-bar style)
- Dolphins Super Bowl 7 Chrome (original style)
- Dolphins Super Bowl 8 Chrome (original style)
Other Miami Dolphins Helmets
These pocket pro helmets were not officially made by Riddell. They only exist as custom helmets.
- 1967-71 (pre-season): White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, no dolphin logo, grey facemask
- 1980-89: White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #3, aqua facemask
- 1990-96:White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #4, aqua facemask
- 1994 (throwback): White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #1 inside ring, aqua facemask
- 2014-19 (throwback): White helmet, aqua/white/orange stripes, dolphin #1 inside ring, white facemask